Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Niblets - Bar Niblets

This segment is dedicated to the yummiest bar-niblets I have hitherto tasted.
Yeah, this is a thing! In my world, bar niblets are not the soggy chips and peanuts they put out for you when you order a drink; that's what they do in expensive lounge-y places. I stay away from those. I am a nearly-always-broke woman. I need my alcohol, but not in a fancy place, necessarily.
So when I say bar niblets, I mean things to eat in a bar. And my bars of choice are not places you would take anyone used to a lounge. Like never take your parents to these places, really...

So I'll start with my favourite: Chicken Chatpata and Crispy Chicken. I'd never have gone to Lalit's if it hadn't been for these wonderful concoctions. The Chicken Chatpata is basically dry, tangy-spicy chicken put on a plate, but there is something about it, some vague undercurrent of difference from the usual chicken dishes that makes it delicious. Where is this found? At Lalit's. It can be found in the lane opposite Kayani's, near the Metro theatre in South Mumbai. The Chicken Crispy is also a tangy, warm plate of yummy. Every time I'm back in the city, I make a trip. I love this stuff. Maybe I'm hyping it a bit, but it's really good, ya!

And of course, there is Chakli and schezwan sauce. It's something I'm sure is served all over the place, but the Gokuls guys serve it the best. In the lane parallel to Colaba Causeway, behind McDonald's, there is famed shady hole-in-wall-bar, Gokuls. Go in the evening and you will find it packed. Any evening. And if you want to chew on something (which might be a good idea) then ask for a plate of chakli and schezwan sauce. The sauce is a fry-up of chili, garlic and onion, and the chakli is the small packet you get in any little nukkad store. Nothing phenomenally different, but the whole package of Gokul's makes this one stand out. In fact, while at Gokuls, you should also get a Healthy-Bites roll. I have spoken about these before... And hey, get a Chicken 65 as well. It's quite good. Better than most, coz the chicken isn't fried till it's so chewy a dog wouldn't want it. As a chew-toy, I mean, not that I imply dogs eat my left-overs.

Invariable, place-no-bar, yummy bar-food: Masala papad! It's a papad. It's got onion and tomatoes and coriander and chaat masala on it. And chili. What more do you need? It's crunchy, fresh and fun to eat!
And no matter where you are, you'll get a masala papad. The Taj has a masala papad, for example...
And it's so much better than peanuts (which I am allergic to, so I do not eat. No offence to peanut-eaters).

Please realize what I have tried to do in this post. It is a tribute.

MUST TO EAT.

Okay thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment