Tuesday, December 4, 2012

In Memory of Thecha

I have sampled the humble Indian burger from a hundred places in my life, by now, and I can say one thing with conviction: They just don't make em like they used to anymore...
And I think I've deciphered why... They don't use the good old thecha.
What is one thecha? How do you even pronounce this creature? Is it something to eat? Is it veg?
Arre wait, children, wait! I was merely taking a calming breath!
Thecha... Pronounced as follows: the (as in th of thunder and hey of whey) cha (as in cha-cha-cha).
It is a brilliant concoction of garlic, chilies, coconut, I think some peanut and a whole load of fantastic stuff. And they have served it up with the humble vada-pav for ever. Till now, it seems.
It used to lend a tangy, spicy-sweet taste to the vada-pav. It used to be this explosion of taste in your mouth... It used to be amazing! And they don't add it to the vada-pav anymore...
Except, I found out yesterday, at this place at Flora Fountain in Colaba. The man (according to his newspaper clippings) has been around for donkey's years. I won't question his credibility; I will merely eat his amazing culinary creations.
You must go. Although it's a little pricey for vada-pav (10 bucks is a lot according to me), it's worth it for the thecha.

No comments:

Post a Comment